[STILL IN DRAFT]

Introduction

FILL IN

Thanks! -List Threadmaster Trifna

Summary

FILL IN

The Ideas

Historical part to the garbage, easily changed Civpedia by the editor
    Forget the historical stuff about units. Most people never read it and it doesn't enhance gameplay. Make it easy to generate Civpedia entries IN THE EDITOR.
    Kuciwalker

Keep the historical part, help by changing Civ 3's "dreadful" editor
    I really enjoy reading the stuff that is "unimportant" when you only consider gameplay issues. I understand that most people creating scenarios or mods don't do it, but I definately want all the text in the Civilopedia that comes with the game.

[...]

Now this is really simple, by adding a small feature to the editor. Namely an option for the editor to automatically make empty entries in the Civilopedia and/or to take over civilopedia entries from other related things [...]. This way if I don't want to mess with those entries, I don't have to. In fact, all the required work related to adding something into the game should be done by the editor [...]. What I would get is a feature added to the game and some empty space in the text file(s), that [one] could fill if need be.
    Modo44

A "?" to click on and point at elements, fan participation
    I propose that somewhere at the top of the screen there would be a litte interrogation mark to click on. If you click on it, there will be a bunch of very visible interrogation marks each place on the present screen you can get a little text explaining how it works, what it is and everything that's nice to know. This would help many, without even bringing the need of a complete tutorial (though a tutorial can always be nice, and it could use the information put with this interrogation marks system).

The best of all would be if Firaxis would do exactly as they did with fans' maps and incorporate them in patches, or even from the beta to the final version. So some information would have been brang by fans and Firaxis would chose what they bring in.
    Trifna

"Hovered on" information
    I also think that there should be, in the options tablet, a checkbox that when clicked, will cause the mouse button (when it's hovering over an object) to describe the object in a short description
    DarkCloud

Improved file save/retrieve
    Would it be too much to ask to slightly improve the file save and file retrieve dialog boxes?

I feel like I'm back in Windows 3.x with the spartan [...] file operation box.

What I would like to see is a page ripped from Microsoft's book on this. First, make the box a little bit bigger. If I'm doing some file operation, go ahead and cover most of the screen. It's not like I'm playing the game while opening/closing a game.

Second, I need to see some properties information displayed regarding my file saves. A small thumbnail of my map would be nice. Also, some information like:

-when was the file created (game started)
    -date last saved
    -how many civs active
    -current scores/perhaps a histograph?
    -whether the game is SP, MP or PBEM

Speaking of PBEM. Could a seperate interface be developed for keeping MP and PBEM games organized? I create seperate folders, but I think with minimal effort, a little nicer front end could be developed to make it easy to store, organize and launch games.

One last thing...the manual makes it a point to say that it doesn't store email addresses. This is a pretty simple thing that would help the player tremendously.
    Shogun Gunner

Using the standard Windows open-file box
    Why not use the standard Windows open-file box, with an extra part to display some info about the actual savegame you have selected?
    Kuciwalker

Mini-map, and opening a game in one click
    A mini-map thumbnail is essential.
    I'd also like a way to open games with one click from the main menu.
    MattH

For a printed manual
    The manual should be printed, not digital! I find it much nicer to be able to paw through actual paper.
    MattH

Being able to pause at any time
    Be able to pause the game in the middle of anything it's doing to look at settings, etc. When it's cycling through automated or AI units. Be able to change orders in the middle. Be able to more easily observe what the AI is doing before it's finished.
    Brent

Rainbow bar: simple/efficient multi-factor management
    Sometimes many factors sum up to affect a single aspect (such as a city's mood with positive/negative factors, economic income/outcome...).

I propose the "raibow bar" as an interface tool.

What counts is the total bar, which is composed of each factor which has its own color. What counts is the sum of each part (with its color) of the bar forming the the whole "rainbow bar" (containing each color). When it reaches a certain line, you get unrest for example. This bar coult be on the city screen and everywhere needed.

One question is how to include the negative part (since there are positive factors, but also negative ones). Possible way: the "negative" bar just under the "positive" bar starting from the right side of the positive, the left end of it being where the line of your current situation is drawn (affecting the given aspect).
    Trifna

Less imperfect city management to worry about
    Let's say you've got 18 food and the city produces 3/turn and you need 20 that it grows. What if they skipped the extra turn, let the population grow immediately and put the remaining 1 food in the container?
    Max Sinister

Conclusion

FILL IN

Respectfully Compiled- Trifna
    Last edited by Trifna; January 22, 2005, 23:21.
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Forget the historical stuff about units. Most people never read it and it doesn't enhance gameplay. Make it easy to generate Civpedia entries IN THE EDITOR.

Comment

@skywalker: I agree.
      Vote Democrat
      Support Democracy

Comment

Indeed, if the community could add information that would get in the civpedia, it could be nice. I always remember going in the civpedia and not finding what I want to know. Also, if some information about the civpedia comes out during the beta, we could easily say what information we believe is missing.

Comment

I propose that somewhere at the top of the screen there would be a litte interrogation mark to click on. If you click on it, there will be a bunch of very visible interrogation marks each place on the present screen you can get a little text explaining how it works, what it is and everything that's nice to know. This would help many, without even bringing the need of a complete tutorial (though a tutorial can always be nice, and it could use the information put with this interrogation marks system).

The best of all would be if Firaxis would do exactly as they did with fans' maps and incorporate them in patches, or even from the beta to the final version. So some information would have been brang by fans and Firaxis would chose what they bring in.

Comment

Actually, I read it and always learn new things that I never knew before.

In addition, it creates extra appeal for the game since people can always pass civ off as an 'educational game'

However, I do agree with users being allowed to manually edit the civlopedia! In essence we could craft our own scenarios and own histories if we wanted to completely remod the game (remember the star wars mod for civ II and teh complete redesigns where someone went into the source and messed with the civlopedias...) well this way, the civlopedia could be more easily edited ushering in a renaissance of mod development

I also think that there should be, in the options tablet, a checkbox that when clicked, will cause the mouse button (when it's hovering over an object) to describe the object in a short description

(IE: if it's over plains- it says "Plains +1 Food" and if the player double right clicks, then (s)he can discover more information about the terrain, or city...) In addition, the highlighting can be quite helpful if the interface uses strange images instead of words (like CTP) for its icons.

And there should be additional options for the "Help" boxes-

The player could turn off the Interface Help (telling the player what plains is, etc) or he could turn off the City Screen Help (turning off the descriptions of what a rioting man is) or he could turn off the Game Help (which would turn off the highlighting on strange icons that represent "Top 10 Civs" etc.)
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Something that has bugged me a little recently.

Would it be too much to ask to slightly improve the file save and file retrieve dialog boxes?

I feel like I'm back in Windows 3.x with the spartan (see I worked a Civ term into a Windows issue, aren't I clever ) file operation box.

What I would like to see is a page ripped from Microsoft's book on this. First, make the box a little bit bigger. If I'm doing some file operation, go ahead and cover most of the screen. It's not like I'm playing the game while opening/closing a game.

Second, I need to see some properties information displayed regarding my file saves. A small thumbnail of my map would be nice. Also, some information like:

-when was the file created (game started)
              -date last saved
              -how many civs active
              -current scores/perhaps a histograph?
              -whether the game is SP, MP or PBEM

Speaking of PBEM. Could a seperate interface be developed for keeping MP and PBEM games organized? I create seperate folders, but I think with minimal effort, a little nicer front end could be developed to make it easy to store, organize and launch games.

One last thing...the manual makes it a point to say that it doesn't store email addresses. This is a pretty simple thing that would help the player tremendously. My Kodak digital camera software allows me to send files right from the software picture viewer. I should be able to send saved games just as easily. If Kodak can do it, so can Atari/Infogames/Sid Meier/Breakaway Games... or whoever is making the game now.
              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

So I suppose you want a CTP-like information box about the game saves?
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Why not use the standard Windows open-file box, with an extra part to display some info about the actual savegame you have selected?

Comment

A mini-map thumbnail is essential.
                    I'd also like a way to open games with one click from the main menu. I had a concept drawing of this- I'll see if I can find it.

The manual should be printed, not digital! I find it much nicer to be able to paw through actual paper.
                    cIV list: cheats
                    Now watch this drive!

Comment

This is what I'm talking about- never mind the C3C
                      cIV list: cheats
                      Now watch this drive!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                        So I suppose you want a CTP-like information box about the game saves?
                        I don't know what that looks like...

Comment

MattH, that's looking pretty good.

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Comment

Originally posted by MattH

This is what I'm talking about- never mind the C3C
                            Why don't I see this picture on my browser exactly?...

Comment

I strongly agree with Shogun Gunner and MattH. I agree and disagree with Kuci. I don't want to be able to easily lose the prepackaged pedia, but I want to be able to turn it off, or portions of it, and/ or easily make entries in the Editor. I want a complete tutorial. I want the pedia to be educational, even though I never use it that way, and it would be nice if you could learn more of value from actual gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                              X